When you take better care of your things they last longer. This might have been a lesson you were taught about as a child, but this rule applies to so many things in our household today. Appliances, vehicles, and HVAC systems last longer when properly maintained. But what does that mean? How do you take better care of an air conditioning unit? It starts with regular maintenance and continues by staying on top of issues throughout your unit’s life.
The team at Atomatic Mechanical Services talks about the importance of air conditioner services, when you should have them done, and the benefits maintenance can have on your AC unit.
Do I Need To Have Air Conditioning Maintenance Done This Year?
When was the last time your air conditioner was serviced? If you don’t know the answer, then you should schedule an appointment. AC units should have a tune-up appointment every year. Ideally, this appointment should happen before the cooling season begins, in the spring. During the appointment, an HVAC maintenance technician will clean your unit, test its components, check for blockages, and secure all physical connectors and moving parts.
During your appointment, your technician will be able to spot signs of wear and tear throughout your cooling equipment. If they find a component that needs to be repaired or replaced, they can do that in order to prevent your ac system from breaking down unexpectedly.
If it’s hard to remember to schedule your annual ac maintenance appointment, Atomatic can help. Sign up for our maintenance agreement. Our team will contact you to make appointments for your regular HVAC system tune-ups on your schedule, so you’ll never miss an important appointment again.
What Are the Benefits of Air Conditioning Maintenance?
Routine maintenance for your AC unit comes with many benefits. When you have your AC tune-ups done every year, you’ll notice many system improvements.
- Reliable Operation – during the hot summer months in Chicagoland, the temperatures will rise and rise. This put a lot of strain on your cooling system, but when it’s been properly maintained, it will be able to keep your home cool even on the hottest of days.
- Better Energy Efficiency – Air conditioners that are serviced ahead of the season are restored to their peak efficiency. This means they use as little energy as possible to cool your home. This is great for the environment and your wallet.
- Less Likely to Need Repairs or Break Down – Preventative maintenance is key to avoiding sudden breakdowns or expensive AC repair bills.
- Maintain The Manufacturer’s Warranty – Many air conditioner manufacturers require you to have your air conditioner serviced on an annual basis in order to maintain your system’s warranty. Without a valid warranty, repairs can be very expensive as your system ages.
What Are Some Things I Can Do To Maintain My Air Conditioning Unit?
While it’s always a good idea to stay on top of maintenance appointments for your heating and cooling system, you also want to make sure you do a few other things to keep your system in tip-top shape.
- Make sure to change your air filters on a regular basis. Check your filter to see how full it is every month. A general rule is to replace your air filter every three months to keep your system clean. You can purchase air filters at your local hardware store.
- Keep the area around your air conditioning unit clean. This means making sure there is nothing leaning against it, keeping the grass around it short, and removing any sticks or debris that have fallen on it.
- If your HVAC unit is ever not performing properly, or you notice issues like odd odors and loud noises, get your system repaired right away. Neglecting necessary AC repairs can cause worse damage to your system and can greatly shorten its working life.
When Is It Time For a New AC Unit?
Your central air conditioner has an average lifespan of 10-15 years. If your system is under 10 years old and needs repairs, it’s best to have them done. Only when your system is over 10 years old and has bothered you with multiple repair service needs is when you should consider having a new unit installed. Talk to your service technician to see what they think. Sometimes if a large repair is needed, it may be more economical to replace the whole unit rather than repair one component.
Schedule Your Air Conditioning Service with Atomatic Today
Whether it’s time for your annual AC tune-up appointment, or you’re looking for a new system for your Chicagoland home, talk to Atomatic for all your air conditioner needs. We can keep your home reliably cool throughout the summer months. Schedule an appointment today.